Saturday, April 08, 2006

District Court

District Court 4-4-06

Landlord Tenant Dispute

Gary Landis
Vs.
Girish Amin

Hearing time 10:30 AM

After a delay for other court business, the officer of the police department cleaned up the many cases that he had scheduled for that day and told us he was finally finished with the court room.

I entered into the court room to find the District Justice in a comfortable position at the bench, he asked me what I was here for? I told him, I’m here for the landlord tenant dispute, the judge picked up a case file and started reading… He then asked me to take a seat. I asked him where he wanted me to sit? He pointed to his right or my left. Then he asked if the other party was here, I told him that they were and that they were waiting, to be invited in. The judge returned to reading the case file, my complaint.

My landlord his wife and the realtor came into the court room they played musical chairs, and finally decided the order of seating. The judge at one point looked overtop of the file a little bit annoyed at the commotion.

I was asked to come forward and be sworn in to testify.

Girish was asked to question my testimony.

Girish was then asked to be sworn in and to testify.


Evidence one was the letter to his wife.

I sent to the wife of Girish a letter documenting why I felt that Girish and Rich Markel had lied and how they lied and requested to have my security and last month’s rent returned. Girish presented this letter to the judge and the judge asked me to confirm that indeed I had written the document then the judge read the letter.

Evidence two was the invoice:

Girish was asked to produce correspondence between him and me that documented the use of my security. Girish produced an invoice for $1,034.?? The invoice documented that the gutters were cleaned and debris was removed from the garage. The judge questioned about the cleaning of the gutters and chuckled with a comment to Girish that gutter cleaning is not the tenant’s responsibility.


Evidence three was the writing that I left when I didn’t receive my security and last months rent at the house of Girish.

Rich Markel was sworn in to testify.

Rich started talking about the sales agreement dated Oct. 12 for an Oct. 29th settlement.

I asked for that document to be handed to the Judge and started a series of questions for my request. At that time I presented the original sales agreement dated Aug. 3rd for a settlement of Sept. 15th.

The judge then decided that he had heard enough and would render a verdict in 5 days.
He told the court room looking more at the defendants that his ruling could be appealed and they would have 30 days to file that appeal.

At that time I also mentioned to the judge that the debris the invoice was for was debris that was present before I moved into the house.

Everyone left the court room and as I followed out I hesitated then the judge made a comment to me on my way out the door that, I should have a good day. I told the judge, that I would try... I’ve had better. The judge then asked, did I intend to pursue a career as a lawyer? I said that I was too old. He replied, you’re never too old…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home